Monday, December 28, 2009

Oh My Heavens...

What a day! The two year old is in some kind of stage that apparently requires that he go almost naked most of the day. Then at nap time, course he must get completely naked. He used to be a great napper....like three hours a day for me, but alas that seems to be over! My heart is broken! I do love nap time! And please don't think that it is because I use the time to get so much done. It is not.....I really like to take naps too! This is a list of the Top 5 Funniest Things he said at nap time today (he talked to himself for quite a while, to trick me into thinking he might crack).
1. Someone come save my life.
2. Oh, Come ON!
3. What's happening here?
4. I am a hero.
5. I am the real Buzz.
Okay, obviously the last one came from Toy Story 2, but it was funny that he threw out in this situation!
But enough of that, onto my projects. Today I cleaned out all my kitchen cabinets and threw away things, consolidated, made a stack of things to return to my mother-in-law...(sorry it took so long), and made room for my canning supplies. I felt great, accomplished, like I could take over the world. Then that whole nap thing up there happened and kind of deflated my ego! Oh Well. Next, I did indeed try very hard to focus on my Day One Challenge from the Love Dare...Resolve to demonstrate patience and say nothing negative to your spouse at all. Okay, I thought this would be a piece of cake. Not to brag, but I am not doing this because I have a failing marriage. I am doing it because I have a great marriage and I want to keep it that way. We rarely fight and we didn't fight today, but it was strange that my patience was tested a few times. Was it simply because I was focusing on it? Or was it because I have never thought about it in this way? And while I don't think I said anything negative, what if I said something I don't remember? Things do sometimes just FLY out of my mouth! Bottom Line: Day one...harder than I thought! I also started to wonder today "what would happen if I did the Love Dare on my kids"? Next, I made dinner...still reeling from my great cleaning project apparently I thought I would tackle Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Following my rules for a simple life, it is homemade from scratch and I had everything I needed. I got my recipe from www.thepioneerwoman.comI adore her. So her recipe calls for an 10 to 12 inch cast iron skillet, so I drag mine and throw everything in there. Apparently mine is smaller than that, there was so much butter and brown sugar in there it looked like heaven. Then there was too much batter, so I filled it up to the very top of the skillet. Yum I said and threw it in the oven. About 15 minutes later, the hubs decided the smoke alarm was about to go off and flew around opening windows...I checked the cake. This was a site, the brown sugary goo was seeping up around the batter and sliding off the skillet onto the bottom of the oven. No problem, I place a cookie sheet under it. Problem solved, the center was still completely raw though. No problem, I set the timer for another ten minutes...then checked again. A little longer maybe....then a little longer....Okay so 50 minutes later I had a perfect Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Here's a little secret, the extra butter and brown sugar made the most heavenly syrup that dripped all over and was like sin on a spoon. I encourage you to recreate my accidental masterpiece. I guess on my journey you would call this a upturned stone on my moss covered path. Or maybe I just stopped to look a butterfly or something. More tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment