Friday, January 29, 2010

Snow, Snow, Beautiful Snow!



I will be the first to admit that I don't always believe the weather men in our area. I mean it is Oklahoma and as the saying goes "if you don't like the weather, stick around for a few minutes". It is constantly changing, never predictable weather. Cold winters could last into March....Hot summers could last into October. You just never know. But man did they predict it this time. Sleet and then snow. I think we have 1/2 an inch of solid ice under the 6 inches of snow. It has been coming down hard since yesterday afternoon. The last time they said this, I didn't believe them and we had the first blizzard in the history of Oklahoma. That is when I learned that to be a blizzard, it has to be 35 mile per hour wind. They did say it could be worse than the Ice Storm of 2007, which was horrible. In the middle of the night our power went out. I woke up for some reason and being a) half asleep and b)a sleep deprived new mother, I thought I was blind because I couldn't see anything. It was seriously the blackest black I have ever seen. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. The hubs still likes to make fun of me for this. I had a nursing infant and an eleven year old daughter. I had to leave our house when we lost power and take all my stored breast milk with me. I first went to my in-laws, the closest family with power. Then they lost power and I went to my parents. Then they lost power and we all went to their friend Becky's house. We stayed there for a week I think. My hubs stayed home prepared to shoot looters (I think he was hoping for looters). Becky's daughter enjoyed our visit so much that she is continually asking if we have lost our power this time.

Here is a shot from the "07 Ice Storm"


So far we still have power, we have plenty of food, we have a gas oven and range and a gas fireplace...we are prepared to stay home this time. But I really hope we don't lose power. Skylar has a friend spending the night and I am prepared to enjoy a relaxing weekend, with power! Have I mentioned I really hope we don't lose power?

1 comment:

  1. Hope you've still got power and that history doesn't repeat itself! Stay warm :D

    ReplyDelete